Have you ever tried to post something on Instagram and you didn’t get the response you intended? Don’t worry! We are here to help you win the online war, one social media battle at a time. Here’s our Instagram for beginners guide.
With all the information uploaded on the web, the user’s attention span is shortening. In order to get the feedback you want, we will walk you through all the steps to understanding Instagram, its importance for a successful business, but also how to use it.
When we’re done, you will know when to post pictures, how to take advantage of them in a professional, and even fun, way and you will find out other marketing strategies to get your restaurant promoted.
The importance of Instagram for restaurants
Social media is growing and it is an important way to get close to your customers. Even if its “brothers”, Facebook and Twitter, are older and much more advanced, Instagram is catching up – in 2014 it hit 200 million monthly active users. Facebook bought the website and helped it develop. What is more, 2013 saw the introduction of Instagram’s advertising platform.
In the last year, we’ve seen a lot of people and brands “moving” on Instagram. They create simple, colorful, vintage photographs and even videos with a catch: a special hashtag (#) or an inspiring message and they get attention via entertaining contests. Then, brands post these photos and videos on other social media pages.
Statistics* show that photographs get much more likes than a simple message. These little square images are “hip”, they tell stories, and the new generation craves posting and seeing mouth-watering images with food and cocktails or videos offering a glimpse of the warming atmosphere found in a new place.
Steps to creating a killer Instagram page
- Create your page, write a few details (e.g. tagline, website address) in the about section and let users from other platforms know you are also present here.
- Whenever you post a photo or a video, don’t be afraid to have fun. Use the editing techniques available, tag people or other brands and last, but definitely not least, don’t forget about hashtags (#).
- If you have doubts regarding what pictures to post, start with your decor, your menu, your team and maybe new dishes. Then, you should also post videos with the atmosphere on a busy day or when your chef and bartender are doing something spectacular.
- Hashtags (#) are important on every social media page. On Instagram if you post a picture from your restaurant you can develop your own (e.g. #yourrestaurantnamelunch) and then add some general ones: like #yourcity #food #soup #salad.
- Instagram gives you the possibility of using locations. If you don’t use a special hashtag (#), take advantage of this to add your city or even your restaurant’s location.
- Another thing you might want to do is post a link taking people back to your website, to Facebook or to your Munch Ado page. If you post a picture with a dish, put a link in the photo description going back to Munch Ado, thus offering the user the possibility of ordering it online.
- After these basic steps, you should think of contests or other fun campaigns to attract attention. Invite users to post pictures using a special hashtag (e.g. #healthybreakfast, #whativehadforlunch, #myfavoritrestaurantnamedinnerdish) or to recreate a dish you’ve posted and in return the best photo (or the one with the most likes) can win a free dinner.
- Next, you should also add people you know or other brands and like what they post. Never forget that you should always drive engagement. Socialize with your customers, educate and inspire them and use CTAs (calls-to-action) in order to make them comment.
We hope these ideas will keep you busy until ads start building up. Although Instagram offers ads now, in the beginning this possibility is available only to a few brands (e.g. adidas, Ben & Jerry’s, Burberry, GE, Lexus, Levi’s, Macy’s, Michael Kors, PayPal, Starwood).
Posting pictures and videos, editing them, adding location tags and hashtags, creating campaigns and contests are things which can be done daily and they can be fun for you and entertaining for the customer. You are now ready to create your successful Instagram page!
#MunchAdoCrewOverAndOut. What’s you special hashtag?
* According to Kissmetrics, photos get 53% more likes, 104% more comments and 84% more click-throughs on links than text-based posts. (Source: http://blog.bufferapp.com)